Sunday 3 November 2013

'Spayed' (here's hoping) in Chelsea...



It's Monday, It's 10 pm, the weekend is well and truly over but who cares; it's that time again! Time to find out what havoc our favorite canape nibbling socialites have been causing this week, sauntering around Chelsea young, free and erm...single? (Interchangeably so. We can't quite keep up).

My sister, mum and I prepare to become sofa bound for the hour as my dad miserably slopes off, returning sheepishly as soon as the Moet starts flowing and the trivial but oh-so-heart-wrenching shit starts going down.

Now as much as I mock, I can't deny the concept is genius; who doesn't want an insight into how the other half live? And it's not all sushi, coffees and drinks at the Bluebird (although there IS a lot of that).. Some of them have relationships outside the show, talents,  passions, and yes, even day-jobs! Over all they're a 'beaut' (don't get me started) group of young people, growing up before our very eyes and going through their (albeit privileged) lives for our entertainment. 
However, there is one thing that irked me about last weeks episode of E4's smash hit; faced with an hour of  'laddish' behavior I was almost ready to swear off boys for life. ALMOST being the operative word... (For fear of sounding like a twenty year-old baby spinster).

Spencer Mathews comes immediately to mind, his cheesy grin and insurmountable arrogance attracting many a girl to his honey pot of faithful promises - until the next cheating scandal that is. Jamie Laing gets a special mention too - his cute Peter Pan like exterior and happy-go-lucky outlook on life making him almost compulsorily lovable, whilst he flits from girl to girl saying whatever it takes to get himself out of many an inevitable messy situation, male organs unscathed. Even seemingly sweet new boy Alex got himself into bother last week, dropping current love interest Fran quicker than you could say 'Caviar and Champagne house warming at mine Binky?'.

I'm not generally a fan of sayings such as 'he has no balls' 'grow some balls' or various variations; they allude to the fact that being 'male' and therefore owning 'big balls' go hand in hand with courage, strength, guts, gallantry...Erm? You only have to look at The Made in Chelsea boys' unyielding concern for their man-parts to undermine the previous phallic sayings and replace them with my new personal favorite:
'If you have a dick, you are a dick'.
Stick that in your opening credit quotation marks...






p.s As mad as they make me, I just turned down arrangements in order to stay in tomorrow night and watch.
p.p.s  Jamie Laing I take it all back - feel free to date me).

No comments:

Post a Comment